No one gets married expecting to get divorced later down the road. An definitely no one expects to have their marriage destroyed by an affair. So how do you begin to move on after this has happened to you? Your husband or even family and friends may try to pressure you into trying to work on your marriage and get past this bump in the road, but only you know if it is actually doable. For many, the broken trust and damaged bond is irreparable. Moving on from your marriage will be far from easy, but if it is the path you choose to take then it will be worth the painful journey. There are many ways to make the process and healthy and productive as possible.
- Accept that the marriage is over: Stop emotionally investing in the past. The more you hold onto the past, the more you will recreate it in your present moment and in the future.
- Allow yourself to feel: Be aware of your thoughts, bodily sensations, and reactions. You cannot heal if you don’t recognize consciously, and it will not go away if you keep shoving it to the side.
- Know that feeling afraid is normal: Learn to face and overcome your fears by taking a close look at your anxiety over the marriage ending and ask yourself if it is truly valid.
- Learn what nurtures you: You have the power to create a future of your own making, be proactive and take responsibility of your own happiness.
- Express yourself authentically: By being real with people, you will find yourself connecting to others in a way you never had before, which speeds up the recovery process. If you feel betrayed by your spouse’s infidelity, express that honestly and constructively.
- Forgive: Realize that forgiveness is mainly for your benefit not any one else’s.
- Trust the process: Keep going. Every step, no matter how small, is moving you forward.
- Set long-term goals for yourself: This is a real indicator that you really are prepared to let go of the past and move on. Set plans for your future, and create some exciting plans for yourself.
If you are struggling with moving on from your marriage after infidelity, call us today so we can help you begin your journey of moving on from infidelity. (813)244-1251
Visit our website to learn more about how we can help! www.starpointcounselingtampa.com